PDO Thread Lift Explained
A PDO (polydioxanone) thread lift uses bio-absorbable suture threads, which are inserted into specific depths and areas of the skin, in order to offer a facelifting effect. This provides both an immediate lifting and tightening, then a gradual skin improvement. The ‘foreign body’ of polydioxidone encourages the production of collagen and elastin, following the trauma to the skin tissues, which is caused by this treatment.
At Flawless Aesthetic Clinic, I use the highest quality ‘DermaVline’ , v-soft and Elionce threads, FDA-approved, strong and moulded, 100% absorbable thread. There are no cuts, no stitching and only a local anaesthetic is required for this treatment.
Where can PDO threads be applied?
They are extremely versatile and can be inserted into many areas of the face, neck, and body areas, such as the knees, elbows, and décolletage. In fact, anywhere where you may be noticing loose, crêpey and sagging skin can benefit from PDO thread-lifting.
What effects can a thread lift have on the skin and facial contours?
- A more defined facial contour and a lifted cheek effect
- A more defined jawline
- Softer, reduced smile lines
- Lifted and softer eyebrows
- A larger ‘cat eye’ effect
- Smoother neck lines
Why have there been some horror stories about PDO threads?
Over the years, many PDO threads have fallen under scrutiny, as some have been found to be less effective than others. The quality of them has definitely improved over time.
When inserted incorrectly, either too deeply or into shallow areas of the skin tissues, they can be completely ineffective and can even ‘pop out’ from the skin, or worse, affect facial components such as blood vessels, nerves ligaments and veins. This is why it is vital to choose your aesthetic practitioner with care and only enlist the services of a fully qualified and highly-trained individual.
I was one of the first nurses to train in this treatment and also teach other doctors and nurses. A good thread lift will work wonders for your facial appearance and inner-confidence, but it has to be conducted by a medical professional in a safe and clinical environment. When it comes to your looks, don’t cut corners, only choose the very best.
Does a PDO thread-lift hurt?
As with any non-surgical treatment which requires the use of needles to inject substances in to the deeper layers of the skin, there may be some slight discomfort, tugging and pulling sensations, however, with the use of topical anaesthetic creams local anaesthetic this minimises the discomfort.
When is the right time to have a thread-lifting treatment?
If you are between the ages of 40 and 70, you may be experiencing moderate to more advanced facial ageing. This could be the perfect time to undergo this treatment. I have done thread lifts in people older than this. However, it’s important to have a pre-treatment consultation with me so I can carry out a full assessment to see if this is the best option.
What aftercare do I need after a PDO thread lift treatment?
Recovery is far quicker than that of surgery, however, there are some simple instructions that you will need to follow, immediately and in the weeks that follow your procedure…
- Do not touch the treated area for 4 hours, following the procedure.
- Avoid hair and face washing that day.
- Do not eat anything on the day that requires wide mouth opening eg a thick sandwich or apple.
- If you experience some bruising, apply some arnica gel, a few times a day (this can be bought from any good pharmacy)
- Do not undergo any further facial procedures for 4 weeks after. You can then plan other facial treatments, except for laser treatments. These, you can discuss with your practitioner and plan accordingly.
- Avoid excessively strenuous exercise and warming of the face for at least 2 weeks after your treatment (this includes avoiding hot baths, saunas and steam).
- Plan your dental appointments for at least 4 weeks after a lower face treatment as the area will feel tight.
It is a myth that you need to sleep on your back once in place the barbed cog threads will not move.
How long do the results last?
The great news is that PDO thread lifting can offer more long-term results, depending on your age and how your skin responds to treatment. Some of our patients enjoy results for up to 2 years before they need to return for another treatment. As our PDO threads are fully absorbable, there will be no issue in having top-up treatments after this time. PDO threads won’t stop the ageing process, but they will enhance the facial features and help to tighten and tone your skin, as well as reduce certain lines and wrinkles.
Can results be guaranteed?
At Flawless Aesthetic Clinic the customer satisfaction with PDO threads is at 80%! However, as with any non surgical treatment and as stated in the clinic terms and conditions we can only see the face externally, all results are individual. Collagenesis WILL take place as it is biological and chemical process of the threads dissolving into the skin, but this may not be obviously visible externally.
So, is a PDO thread lift really worth it?
• A fast in-clinic, walk-in-walk-out treatment
• No scalpel cuts and no stitches
• Minimal downtime
• Instant and long-term results
• Back to work almost immediately
• Absorbable- no product left within the skin tissues
• Affordable in comparison to a surgical facelift
For your no-obligation medical consultation book online for a fresher and more youthful facial appearance, without invasive surgery.